United Way of Washtenaw County (UWWC) invites you to participate in our 21-Day Equity Challenge: 2021 Edition to help build our community’s awareness of the ways that bias, prejudice, privilege, and oppression show up in our work and lives. UWWC has a vision that by 2030, your zip code will no longer predict your opportunity in life. At present, in Washtenaw County, it does.
We believe it benefits us all to have greater collective capacity and courage to identify and address the different ways that bias, prejudice, privilege, and oppression show up in our work and lives.
Join us on a self-guided learning journey examining the history and impacts of racism and how it shapes people’s lived experience in Washtenaw County. Along the way, you’ll also receive examples and tools on how to undo racism and build racial equity and justice.
Thanks to everyone who participated in our 21-Day Equity Challenge! Click here to view a catalogue of 2021 content.
About the 21-Day Equity Challenge
- Free to participate
- Open to anyone
- Runs consecutively from Juneteenth (June 19, 2021) to July 9th.
- You (along with thousands of others in Washtenaw County) commit to deepening your understanding of and willingness to confront racism for 21 consecutive days.
- During every morning of the Challenge, you'll receive an email "prompt" with readings, videos and/or podcasts. You are encouraged to take about 10-15 minutes each day with the material.
- Explore this work on your own, with friends and family, or organization-wide.
- Share your reflections and “a ha” moments using the hashtag #unitedforequity. Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- RSVP to one or more lunch hour discussion groups hosted by Nonprofit Enterprise at Work and UWWC to connect with others and reflect on our shared experiences.
- Download this discussion guide to better understand and reflect on what you discover.
- New this year is FAMILY FRIDAYS - each Friday a family activity, developed by Nuola Akinde, founder of the Kekere Freedom School, will provide activities to talk about race and equity with your children.
Having trouble registering? Email Grace Toll at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Join us as a Community Partner
We are inviting companies, nonprofits and community groups to promote the challenge and help us reach our goal of 10,000 voices. We’ll list all our partners on this web page beginning in June.
Want to spread the word? Share this flyer!
History of the Equity Challenge
The 21-Day Equity Challenge was originally developed by Dr. Eddie Moore, Jr., Dr. Marguerite Penick-Parks and Debby Irving and has been adapted to our community by United Way of Washtenaw County along with our Equity Champions.
2020 Challenge Materials