The Child Tax Credit
The Advance Child Tax Credit (CTC) is an early refund on your 2021 tax return. Taxpayers may receive up to $3,000 for each qualifying dependent between the ages of 6 and 17 and up to $3,600 for each qualifying dependent age 5 or younger. Qualifying taxpayers will receive monthly payments on July 15, 2021 until December 15, 2021.
- Taxpayers can file with a Social Security number or a Individual Tax Identification number
- Qualifying children must have lived with you for at least half of the year, be age 17 or younger, be claimed as a dependent, and have a valid Social Security Number
- Use this IRS tool to find out if your dependent is a qualifying child
- There is no income requirement for this tax credit
- If you are not required to file a tax return or did not claim the Child Tax Credit in 2020, but have qualifying dependents, use the IRS Child Tax Credit Non-filer Sign-up Tool.
- Similarly, taxpayers will be able to update the IRS on changes to income and family composition through the Child Tax Credit Update Portal.
- Taxpayers can all opt-out of the monthly payments and receive the refund during the tax season.
- The income your receive from this credit is nontaxable. However, were you to qualify for a lower refund when you file your 2021 tax return, you may owe some of it back.
Click the image to print a PDF version for you or your clients
Please contact us, call the VITA Line at 734-677-7235, or email vita @ uwwashtenaw.org. The VITA Team is available to help answer questions about the Child Tax Credit.