2022-2023 Tocqueville Pledge Forms available - download now
Named after the French historian Alexis de Tocqueville - who recognized and celebrated the voluntary spirit of the American people - United Way's Tocqueville Society recognizes the generosity of those individuals or couples who give $10,000 or more annually to the United Way of Washtenaw County.
The Tocqueville Society has a mission to deepen individual understanding of, commitment to and support of United Way's work. The Tocqueville Society recognizes local philanthropic leaders and volunteer champions around the world who have devoted time, talent and funds to create long-lasting changes by tackling our community's most serious issues.
Step-up To Tocqueville
United Way has a step-up plan for the Tocqueville Society that allows new members to join at $6,000 in their first year, then $8,000 in their second year, and $10,000 in the third year. This allows community members to join and be recognized as Tocqueville members in their first year and provides the ability to gradually increase ones giving - 2022-2023 Step-Up to Tocqueville Pledge Form.
Tocqueville Society Member Benefits
A dedicated staff addressing your needs and customizing your philanthropic efforts
If you support other agencies aside from United Way, you can bundle your giving, and make one gift (stock, donor advised fund, IRA, etc) to United Way and indicate how you want us to distribute the remainder and we will send these gifts as you direct and on your behalf. No designation fees.
Regular updates on community conditions and United Way Grant investments in the community
Tocqueville gatherings to highlight specific community issues and the solutions funded by members (COVID put us back on this, we look forward to gathering again soon)
No processing fees on gifts designated to other non-profit agencies
Tocqueville Giving Requirements
Make an annual gift of $10,000 or more.
- Spouses gifts can be combined to meet the minimum gift requirement for each giving level.
- A minimum of $2,500 must be directed to United Way of Washtenaw County.
Tocqueville Society Giving Levels
Individuals or couples may make their Tocqueville gift to United Way of Washtenaw County at one of the levels below:
- Membres de la Société: $10,000 to $24,999
- Ordre de Liberté: $25,000 to 49,999
- Ordre d’Egalité: $50,000 to $74,999
- Ordre de Fraternité: $75,000 to $99,999
- La Société Nationale: $100,000 to $249,999
- Ordre d’Indépendence: $250,000 to $499,999
- Ordre de Connaissance: $500,000 to $749,999
- Ordre de Prospérité: $750,000 - $999,999
- La Table Ronde des Millions de Dollars (combined gifts over 10 years): $1,000,000+
How to Join
- Pledge form can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to
United Way of Washtenaw County
Attn: Susan Smith
2305 Platt Road
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
United Way of Washtenaw County is truly grateful for the commitment and support of our Tocqueville Society members and their dedication to creating a meaningful, measurable difference in our community.