September 22, 2021 (Ann Arbor, Mich.) -- As we prepare for the upcoming tax season, United Way of Washtenaw County’s (UWWC) Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) is prepared to help more individuals file their taxes through a new partnership with Capital Area United Way. Under the new partnership, the tax services will become a year-round service and has the goal of increasing the number of clients served.
The VITA Program provides free tax preparation services to families and individuals with low to moderate incomes in Washtenaw County, helping them receive the maximum refund possible as well as tax credits for which they are eligible. This year, our service also helped people access COVID-19 stimulus payments.
This year, the VITA Program resulted in:
● $1.42 million total in tax returns and credits returned to Washtenaw County taxpayers. ● 669 total free tax returns filed.
● An average tax refund of $2,136
● 100+ people connected to financial education and navigation services.
“Through this new collaboration with Capital Area United Way, we are expanding the scope of our VITA program to reach even more taxpayers who are eligible for our support. We’re excited to leverage the power of the United Way network and appreciate the expertise and capacity Capital Area brings to the program,” says Pam Smith, President & CEO.
To support the program’s expansion, UWWC is looking for talented and passionate individuals to join the VITA team. Here are ways you can get involved:
● Apply to become our next VITA Program Associate: This person manages the day-to-day operation of the VITA program in Washtenaw County and the review of tax site compliance with IRS guidelines. To learn more and apply, visit
● Apply to become an AmeriCorps member: AmeriCorps is a national service that strengthens communities by involving volunteers in service to meet local challenges. Our AmeriCorps members will work to combat poverty by supporting the VITA Program. To learn more and apply, visit https://www.uwwashtenaw.org/career-opportunities
● Become a VITA volunteer: Join our team of over 80 volunteers in learning the “ins and outs” of tax preparation. Volunteers can serve as Intake & Exit Specialists, Tax Preparers, or Quality Reviewers. Training begins in December. To sign up, visit https://www.uwwashtenaw.org/volunteer-vita
About United Way of Washtenaw County
As part of our 100-year history, the United Way of Washtenaw County brings people, organizations and resources together to create a thriving community for everyone. Our focus areas of Health, Education and Financial Stability provide the building blocks to strengthen the community and create opportunities for individuals and families. Our virtual Volunteer Center is an easy, online way for people to connect with nonprofits in the community and our 2-1-1 helpline connects more than 8,000 people annually to critically needed services. To learn more, donate, or volunteer, visit uwgive.org.