United Way of Washtenaw County is proud to announce the launch of our Mobile Financial Resource Team. Our goal? Help working families and individuals pave a path to financial independence.
What We Do
Our FREE services can help lower your monthly expenses, repair your credit and set you on the path to gaining and sustaining assets.
How We Do It
- Free 1-on-1 Financial Coaching & Resource Navigation-- by our trained financial coach provides financial education to help individuals get back on their feet, and stay there. Financial coaching is designed to help individuals achieve financial milestones, such as improving their credit score, net worth and/or net income, and becoming debt free. To ensure that you get, and stay, on track, we can also help you access local social services for which you are eligible, like food assistance, utility assistance and healthcare coverage.
- Free Financial Empowerment Workshops-- using the FDIC Money Smart curriculum our workshops can teach individuals of all ages about financial stability. Workshops are group- based, with “hands on” modules that cover a range of topics from basic budgeting to credit repair help. Why? Because the more individuals know about credit and banking services, the more likely they are to make informed financial decisions. - Our services are mobile. You will find us at your local community center and at social service agencies across Washtenaw County. For a schedule of where we’ll be next, click here.
Want to know more about our services for yourself or a client? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last year United Way piloted financial stability work in Washtenaw County. Over 200 individuals attended 27 Financial Empowerment workshops, with 90% of attendees reporting an increase in their financial knowledge. Additionally, 548 individuals filed their taxes for free using our free VITA tax preparation services program or MyFreeTaxes.com resulting in an average tax refund of $1,246 in tax refunds per household and over $600,000 in tax refunds brought back to Washtenaw County.
Other United Way Financial Stability Resources
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program utilizes a team of dedicated and professional volunteers to provide FREE tax preparation. Volunteer tax preparers work one-one-one with individuals and families to navigate tax returns, offer financial tips and seek out all available tax credits, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).
- Free At Home Tax Filing Support- File your taxes for free in the convenience of your own home using MyFreeTaxes.com. Sponsored by United Way and powered by H&R Block, MyFreetaxes.com allows individuals or couples filing jointly who make up $62,000 a year to file their taxes on-line for free. If you still have questions call 1-855-MY-TX-HELP (1-855-698-9435).
- Show Me The Money Day (SMTMD) is a community resource fair with a special emphasis on financial stability.