What We Do
How We Do It
Free 1-on-1 Financial Coaching & Resource Navigation
- Free Personal financial coaching
- Help with budgeting, credit repair, setting financial goals, or planning for the future.
- Open to individuals and families with some source of income.
Free Financial Empowerment Workshops
- Check out our free workshop at MIWorks! and learn about financial goal setting, credit repair and more. Click here to register.
Loan Assistance Fund
The Loan Assistance Fund is a unique opportunity to help qualified individuals meet an immediate and unforeseen financial need such as:
- Emergency costs related to personal hardships such as loss of income due to illness, family disruptions(e.g. divorce, separation), death in immediate family;
- Medical Emergencies and/or necessities not covered by medical insurance;
- Transportation (e.g. vehicle tires) used to get to and from work;
- Housing (e.g. security deposit assistance or major appliance repair).
This service is being offered as a safe alternative to traditional payday lending. Fee-free, low interest (up to 3.5%) loans are made in amounts up to $1,000 and are repaid over the course of 12 months. Participants who successfully repay their loans in full and on time will receive a $100 bonus to encourage savings. Approved loan funds will be paid to the third party vendor who is meeting the emergency need, not directly to the loan recipient.
- This service is available to individuals who commit to working with Marshall Averill, our financial empowerment coach
- Employees of human service organizations in Washtenaw County
- Program participants of human service organizations in Washtenaw County
Please see the these FAQ's for additional information about this service.
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program
VITA utilizes a team of dedicated and professional volunteers to provide FREE tax preparation. Volunteer tax preparers work one-one-one with individuals and families to navigate tax returns, offer financial tips and seek out all available tax credits, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).
Free At Home Tax Filing Support
File your taxes for free in the convenience of your own home using MyFreeTaxes.com. Sponsored by United Way and powered by H&R Block, MyFreetaxes.com allows individuals or couples filing jointly who make up $62,000 a year to file their taxes on-line for free. If you still have questions call 1-855-MY-TX-HELP (1-855-698-9435).
Tools for Individuals
Weekly Spending Tracker Tracking spending is an important step in preparing a budget.
Budget Worksheet Tool Setting and following a budget is key to meeting financial goals.